When I was 11 my mom decided it was time to move on, go her own way and finally move out of my grandparents house into a place all her own, single, with two kids and a new job. We moved into this tiny house in the suburbs, that I was convinced was a zombie town since it was so silent and empty compared to the hustle and bustle that is little Italy in Toronto. No restaurants, no music, no people, no kids playing hockey in the middle of the street….. clearly everyone here had died at some point and it was their ghosts flitting through the neighborhood so quietly….. I had a very active imagination.
Now okay, like I said above I’ve got an imagination on me, so maybe this sounds a little odd but that house had a vibe about it….. it was kind of healing in a way. I really can’t explain it; you’d have to be in it to believe it. My mom ended up meeting my step dad in the neighborhood and we moved into his place but she kept the house, renting it out at a low cost. Those who have come through have always been on their way to something…. Like this man who moved in there after his wife died and after a year got a new job and a new view on life (according to what he told us before moving out) or this woman who had just gotten over a messy divorce and stayed a year before meeting someone and learning how to be on her own (apparently when she first got there ‘princess’ as my mom calls her couldn’t use a microwave or a vacuum cleaner) and now me….
Moving back to the crossroads house feels exactly right. At a time where I’m at a transition: New job, best friends getting married, having babies, moving half way across the country, parents moving half way across the country, 25, single and in that weird Britney spears not a girl not yet a woman phase its definitely my turn there.
So I’ve pulled up my sleeves and got right down to business…. Here’s the houses journey so far…. May I add that painting is NOT something I should be allowed to do and that about 6 walls were injured in the making of these pictures:
The scowl on my face is due to it being Labor Day weekend, 100 degrees out and me having no idea what im actually doing. See I figured that after doing the rolling stuff, if I still saw a few white spots I could just go right over them with a brush…. Silly Connie…. Brushes are for artists! Now you cant see it in the photos but the brush strokes are visible EVERYWHERE….. My living room looks like a disaster… but I figure if I cover enough of the walls in porn people won’t notice
Can you see the white stuff on my pretty living room floor? Honestly the last time I ripped a box open like that it had a pair of shoes inside of it….. this time it was for those tables….. oh how the mighty have gotten old! And that entertainment unit? I painted it. see the guy at the paint shop was all “ oh well if the wall gave you a hard time, the unit is going to me a bit more difficult” listen bub you must not know bout me…. I live in the land of upside down! I sleep with nice guys, date the assholes…I wear the sexy shoes for walks and the runners at work.... chances are ill mess up the wall but turn into Picasso with the unit!
Those granny couches… they were hanging out in someones basement, not my style but money is, and I got both for nothing so that works for me! Who needs super nice couches when you can have money instead!?
Oh and last but not least the piece de-resistance…
My red wall!!!! its in the kitchen and that light is being replaced by a black chandelier that will hang over my dark brown kitchen table...and you know what my kitchen will say to company? "sex" thats it just "sex"
all whispery like.
Ive always wanted a red wall and you know what’s NOT easy…..Painting in color. I haven’t had that much red on my pants since I was 12 if you know what I mean….
So move in day is Saturday!!! Ill keep you guys posted on my first shopping trip… since ill be lonely and such and I think my friends will actually die of boredom if I speak about my house anymore, ill bore the blogosphere instead k?
Your welcome!!

3 comments:
The way you describe everything is amazing...it makes me want to have you decorate my apartment. Fantastic post!
How exciting!
Sounds like a lot of work but you'll be so proud of yourself when you're done.
Besides nothing like throwing yourself into an impossible project to cure what ails ya ;)
Good luck & go for it!
thanks guys :)
Post a Comment