BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, March 24, 2011

The trouble with writers

I have no interest in the airiness of it. I am not some emo, arm cutting, pot smoking 20 something who wants a voice.. i have one, i use it often, and the only meaning that "underground" has for me is parking.

I dress well, i watch jersey shore even though i know i lost a few brain cells afterwards. I care about my weight and whether or not my shoes match my purse.... I'm a writer.

I could give a shit about Alice Munro, and it takes me a while to think of how to express myself, because believe it or not reading books does not make me a dictionary or a thesaurus. 

I loved Twilight and found myself daydreaming about great sex with Edward Cullen every other page or so, no she's not a literary genius, but shit she can spin a story, and that's what this is about right? this is why were here right? because somewhere down the line  we realized we liked a good story, and more then that we loved to tell a good story.

 i remember the first book i ever read, i remember the best book i ever read. I still heed the words told to me by my Grade 2 teacher " treat the book with respect," because of this i silently apologize every time i drop my novel on the ground. I would never break the binding or color on the cover, and i feel horrible when i doggy ear the pages... that's about as eccentric as i get.

 I don't have a "collection" of books i put on a shelf so i can show off how big a book i can read  or how many books I've read,  or how very literary my choices of novel are. My books are in a drawer in my bedroom, because its convenient to have them there.

 I buy my books at Chapters, yes i know there are small second hand bookstores that are failing because of conglomerates, and don't get me wrong i always fight for the underdog... but Chapters is down the street so... I'm sorry?

You will never, ever, ever find me writing my next big piece or reading my novel in Starbucks. A) any more then 2  bucks for a coffe is a fucking rip off, and B) how can you concentrate? i bet you cant! i bet being out in the open makes you feel like your doing something important.... i write in my room... i read in my car.

 i make spelling mistakes, I'm pretty sure i misuse semi-colons, and i often start a new sentence with because. I love reading the book and watching the movie. I'm not dark or mysterious, I'm not a loner and I'm not starving. I think its ridiculous if you get your best writing ideas by lying on the  floor and looking at the ceiling, i get mine by putting a pen in my hand and thinking about it.

This is not an artsy fartsy career path, I'm not some bohemian hipster or whatever the fuck their called. Its a job, its a career!  i love books, even the shitty ones, even the romantic corny ones, the harlequin romances, the bibliographies, the art books that have no words in them just great pictures.

I have a passion for this,  but its not a lifestyle choice its a career choice so the only thing you should be looking at for proof is the page.

So, can i get a job please?

5 comments:

Just Sayin... said...

"i make spelling mistakes, I'm pretty sure i misuse semi-colons, and i often start a new sentence with because. I love reading the book and watching the movie."

LOVE IT!

Haphazardkat said...

You are brilliant. Keep doing what you love and the job will come.

PorkStar said...

So good to hear from you again.

This post is brilliant and so honest, I love it!!!

Keep writing please.

janis said...

You are adorable! I love that you say Fuck as often as I. Your thoughts come across on paper (or cyber paper) well.
I agree that you must keep writing.. be patient.. job market is crappy everywhere and for everything. My favorite jobs were working with writers. One boss always had us drink wine when we we would have to have a creative season of throwing ideas out and brain storming. She was an underwriter and much fun. Both the writers, I worked for, were very different yet good friends. The thing I love about writers are there really isn't a cookie cutter. Completely unique everyone! That's how I realized I too was a writer. Just write what I love and feel and fuck those who don't care♥

Canadianbloggergirl said...

You are alive!!!!!!!

I was wondering where you have been. Good to see you back. I haven't been writing as often as we finally got the posting we've been waiting for.

Btw, when I write, I write like a talk. So if it seems sarcastic, spelt wrong etc its done that way on purpose. It also gives me an excuse to not be correct in grammar or spelling....tee hee

CBG
canadianbloggergirl.blogspot.com